Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Bedroom Should Be a Sanctuary


Welcome to my home.

It feels a little strange to be showing a bedroom first, but since it was the first room I re-finished when we bought our home, it's the first room I'm showing.

It's always been my feeling that a Bedroom should be a sanctuary. A room in your home that makes you feel safe, loved, and at peace. A room that you can 'escape' to when you need to renew, re-group, or restore peace in your life. And a room that brings you joy every time you walk into it.

When we bought our house, every wall, ceiling, doors and trim - both inside and ouside, were whitewashed with a glaring PURE WHITE glossy enamel paint. Including our Master Bedroom.

This felt like anything but a sanctuary to me!













So I made some changes. Our circumstances were such that we continued to live in our home in New England for several months after we purchased this South Florida home. Since I was retired and staying at home, but my husband was still working every day, I came down to Florida for six weeks and started painting! In that 6 week timeframe, I managed to re-paint every single room in the house except the two bathrooms. WHEW!!!

Of course this was possible because our daughter and her husband and two boys live just around the corner from this house. I was fortunate enough to have them bring me to the local Home Center store to buy my paint and other equipment as I did each room. And every single evening, at suppertime, I just had to take a little walk around the corner and supper was ready!!! And I got to meet many of my new neighbors on the way! It doesn't get any better than that!!!!

Since the focus of this particular blog is supposed to be the Master Bedroom, I'll come back to that now. :)

Of course I had a plan. I'm ALWAYS planning! My husband thinks I can't live without my graph paper, pencil, eraser, and ruler! LOL

I had the bedroom floors recarpeted with a sculptured, textured ivory carpet.

I painted the walls, window frames, doors and trim a much softer ivory white.

I made new curtains for the windows. This was such a bargain. We found the fabric on a marvelous sale at $6.00 per yard! UNHEARD OF!!!!!

And by the way, the watercolor painting hanging over the bed is one of my own paintings - another passion of mine.

~~~~~~~~~
And here are 'before' and 'after' shots of the opposite wall of this room:

































That's about it for this room. I hope you enjoyed your little tour. I think my next blog might be about one of the Guest Rooms, or a bathroom, or the MAJOR changes we made to the Living/Dining room. Who knows.

Thanks for visiting, and please come again!!! I'll have the coffee on.

Lilmom
p.s. The little painting to the right of the slider is another one of my watercolors.

No comments:

Post a Comment